Achieving Equality: A Pathway for ALL
- Moderator Jacina Haston, Solo & Small Firm Section Chair-Elect; Senior Assistant County Attorney, Pinellas County; former director of The Florida Bar Henry Latimer Center for Professionalism.
- LaShawnda Jackson, Partner, Rumberger l Kirk; first African-American president of the Orange County Bar Association; immediate past president of the Virgil Hawkins Florida Chapter of the National Bar Association.
- Camara Williams, Partner, Smith & Williams Trial Group; community organizer.
- Shenika “Nik” Harris, LGBTQ Consumer Advocate, Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services; attorney; activist; speaker.
- Diriki Geuka, Assistant County Attorney, Pinellas County, representing county agencies including the Office of Human Rights; former federal staff attorney.
Working From Home: Three Essentials for Law Firms
With businesses opening again, many lawyers and legal professionals will opt to continue working from home. From putting out the word across your various online platforms letting people know that you’re open for business and how they can meet with you to using web-based options for team and project management, this article offers some great tips for conducting your law firm’s business remotely.
Congratulations to the Section’s 2020-2021 Officers
- Chair Timothy Shaw, Blalock Walters P.A., Sarasota
- Chair-Elect Jacina Haston, Pinellas County Attorney’s Office, Clearwater
- Secretary Christopher Johnson, Johnson Jackson PLLC, Tampa
- Treasurer Theresa Jean-Pierre Coy, Seffner
On Friday, June 19, the Solo & Small Firm Section hosted its first-ever virtual Annual and Executive Council meetings followed by a networking happy hour on Zoom. Thank you to all who joined in! (Photo credit: Liz McCausland)
The Complete Zoom Guide: From Basic Help to Advanced Tricks
Tech tip from The Florida Bar: One of Zoom’s key strengths is its simplicity, but this does not mean that the platform is without a variety of advanced features that remote workers will find useful for improving their productivity. ZDNet has compiled a Zoom guide to help make your meetings more productive. Read the article or watch the video to learn how to get started, and find out some tips and tricks that even experienced users might not know.
15 Ways We’re Redefining Productivity in Our Next Normal
24/7 Online CLE at Bit.ly/SSF_CLE
If you’re looking for a one-stop-shop for great CLE, bookmark bit.ly/SSF_CLE and go straight to a collection of downloadable CLEs and podcasts. The 2020 Florida Law Update has just been added, and you’ll have access to popular CLEs like Malpractice Pitfalls for Solo & Small Firms, Employment Law Mistakes Small Firm Practitioners Should Avoid, How to Ethically Build a Virtual Law Firm Business Model and more.
Join the section’s members-only Facebook group to network with colleagues around the state.
One of the most difficult things about working remotely is trying to stay connected. Let the Solo & Small Firm Section’s Facebook group be a resource for you. Find co-counsel, refer a case or ask for recommendations. It’s free. Our Wednesday Wisdom series is live on Facebook each month and the library of past videos is available 24/7 through the Facebook group for free, on-demand CLE. Join today to network with your colleagues from the section. JOIN NOW